Powered by Blogger.


Followers

Saturday, March 9, 2013

postheadericon School Fun

I have to admit that teaching is not something that comes natural to me.  I truly believe that teaching is a gift, one which I did not receive :)  I have met some very amazing teachers over the years.  All different yet all wonderful.  I do think that even if you were not blessed with the gift, the more experience you have, the more comfortable you get.  It also helps if you have an amazing student, now luckily, that was something that I was blessed with...my little HARPER!!! 

Here is a look of the past few months of working with Harper.  We started out very simple, with some colors.  She had only been home a few weeks in these first few pictures...



Around Christmas we started introducing letters.  She struggled at first.  Understandably so, going from her language to our language...they are so different!  At first I thought it would take forever but she had me fooled.  Once she understood what we were doing, it all clicked!  

She loves doing workbook pages and has beautiful handwriting.  She is very precise and does not like to have messy work.  There is a good possibility that her coloring skills just may be better then mine.
Here we were finding Insects and Iguana's, things that started with "I", 
and Elephants for the letter "E".
While taking a phone call, she picked out 6 elephants and lined them up perfectly...
once I got off the phone she informed me that this was Baba, Mama, Case, Camden, Elon, & Harper.  It was a very sweet moment... (I guess you needed to be there).
Here is our Elephant family...
Another funny day was when we were finding things throughout the house that started with "S" and marked them with sticky notes.  Scout was doomed!  He did not want that sticky note on him, but he was a good sport :)
Harper also gets to learn a bible verse when Elon is learning her's for school.  This one was one of my favorites because of the motions we came up with to try to learn it.  Elon sometimes has a hard time memorizing the verse's but with good motions - she gets it!  Harper was along for the ride and even though she may not know the value of what she is learning, it thrills me that scripture is some of the first English words she is learning :)


Harper also love's doing crafts - so we made something that started with the letter she was learning (especially one's she was having trouble with).  Here is her Whale!!  


And her butterfly - she loved this one!


But the thing I love the most about our "school" time is how much we laugh.  Here was one funny day that I was able to catch on video (if you want to take the time to watch them, you may want to watch them in order)





For those of you who did not find these funny must not know what a "shank" is...
Be glad!  This is a prank/trick/tradition (whatever you want to call it) that was started in our family many years ago by my husband.  

Here is the gist of it...the unsuspecting victim is busy doing something else
(washing dishes, brushing their teeth, or just simply has their back turned)
and then the prankster pulls their pants down.  
Sometimes... to. their. ankles.  
Yes, it was funny at first.
 Or if you are the prankster and not the victim. 
OR if you are under the age of 10.  
Which I am not.  

But I really do not mind being the prankster!

Well, getting back to the school - All of that work (and laughing) has led us to the point in which Harper has learned the entire alphabet and their sounds in just over 2 months!  


She really is doing amazing.  We have begun sight words and pre reading now - our hope is to have her ready for first grade starting next school year.
Way to go Harper!!! 

6 comments:

likeschocolate said...

Way to go Harper!

Fannie said...

Yea Harper!!! She really is just so cute!!

I may have to pick your brain once we have our little one home. Looks like we'll be submitting LOI for a 5 year old. :)

Lindy D. said...

Oh my, she is just amazing... and cute to boot!

Keisha said...

That is AWESOME! Great Job Harper!

patty rodgers said...

What cutie tutie!! Wow...she has come so far. We were in China adopting our 2 year old and remember seeing you guys at the Mariott. Way to go Harper!

snekcip said...

Great Job to Harper and to you as well!!

f