Powered by Blogger.


Followers

Saturday, November 10, 2012

postheadericon Oh my goodness! We have been home 2 weeks...

Wow!  We have been home for 2 weeks!  I can not believe it has only been two weeks.  Things are really going so well.  Here are the things that we consider such a blessing...

1.  She is going to bed with no crying, and has not since the first night she was with us.  She does not wake up in the middle of the night!  She is sleeping 10-11 hours.  Ummm - wow!!  This was not the case with our sweet little Elon when she came home, so we had prepared for a similar situation but no sleeping issues :)  Woo Hoo!!

2.   Everyone is getting along!!  The girls really do like each other.  The boys are thrilled with their new sister, too!  With the girls (of course) we do hear the occasional "mine" but they are also quickly eager to share.  I know it is still early, the newness will wear off.  But we know things could be difficult NOW, and they are not.  

3.  She is not refusing me or Cole.  She will give us hugs and kisses all of her own.  Especially at bedtime and when she wakes up.  We had prepared for the fact that she may not want one of us - Elon pushed me away in China and she pushed Cole away once we were home.  It is good to be accepted!!  We know Harper did not love us immediately the way we loved her (she may not love us even now), but we can see her heart changing towards us.  It is beautiful to watch and I can not wait till the day that she fully accepts, and loves, me and Cole.

4.  She does not have any fears.  She like's baby dolls, blankets, costumes, baths, doesn't mind having the door closed, doesn't mind loud noises, doesn't mind seat belts, does not mind if Cole or I have to leave, does not mind that the kid's go to school - she really seems to understand that this is her home and her family.  I believe (maybe because of her age) that she fully understood what was happening and she knows this is her new life.

5.  She is a smart cookie!  She is already counting to 10 on her own (in English), and counting out items on her own in English too.  Already learning her color's in English.  Her fine motor skills rock!  She is starting to sing the alphabet song. So many things I could write to elaborate but she is doing great!  Harper will begin working with a teacher friend of mine next week, we are hoping to get her caught up to hopefully start in the 1st grade next year!   

OK, and here are the things that we need to work on...

1.  She does not like to be told "no"
2.  She needs to eat more.

That's it!  Yes, it is very difficult to parent without the word no (and obviously, with her communication still developing, I can not explain things to her in her own language.   So she does hear that word because it is one of the only words that she knows what it means!).  

It can be extremely exhausting because of the way she is handling being told no.  
But when I step back and really take in our situation - it is amazing!  
During the bad days, I have to really remember how difficult all of this is for her.  

How her entire world has changed.  

How she can not communicate with me & tell me what she wants.  

How she is still grieving and this is probably effecting how she is reacting.  

We will work through this.  But it is good for me to remind myself that this is a process and she is doing incredibly amazing!  I am so proud of my newest little pumpkin.   

And now for some pictures of our past two weeks!!!  There were several sicks days so I think we had a pretty eventful two weeks considering...

Our first family photo as a family of six!!!

learning how to bowl and learning from a pro...


This girl so has her own sense of style.  I have no control...

 Sister love!!!

 They are so silly together....

I do not know what she was doing but it is so funny seeing her personality come alive...

These girls's had a date with their daddy.  First the serious pose....

And then the reality...

 They were twirling together holding hands, I made them stop to take a picture.  They really do love each other :)

Uncle Jake (from Florida) was able to come this week to meet his newest neice.  He is the one who was responsible for the "Girls Rule" sign that helped Elon get over her "Man Cave" sadness.  So sweet!!!

6 comments:

likeschocolate said...

So happy all is going so well!

jennifer said...

Yay! I am so glad things are going so well! The fact that they already love each other is amazing...what a blessing! I love all the pics. It seems as if Harper has always been there. I'm so happy for you! Call me when you can...I can't wait to catch up!!

Keisha said...

So glad to hear things are going well! ;)

Tara Anderson said...

So great to hear how things are going! Sounds like you're off to a wonderful start!

Rog N Deege said...

Hello Richardson family! So wonderful to find your blog, Harper is adorable and the pictures of her and Elon together are adorable. Blessings to your family.
Deidre
Mom to Savanna

Unknown said...

I just love each and every photo you post. My heart just can't get enough of her happiness! Thank you so much for answering the call to bring sweet Harper home. :)

f